The first step is to put yourself in your visitor’s shoes and think about what they would type in the search engines to find your website. This can be either your business name, service or even general terms related to your business.
Let’s say you sell widgets in Toronto. Your potential keywords could include “widget sales Toronto”, “widget quality Toronto”, and “widget quantity Toronto”.
What should you do
Here are the steps you should follow to find out what keywords people are using on the search engines when they type something into a search engine.
1) With your preferred browser, go to Google’s Keyword Tool and type in the keywords you want to search for. Note: Some of the keywords will be too competitive and may require you to pay a fee to get listed at the top.
2) If you don’t have a pay-per-click account, use Yahoo Search Marketing (Overture) to find out what keywords people are typing in.
If your website is about widgets, the natural next step would be to create a page on your website that is only about widgets!
Here’s an example of a page title tag:
Example: Widgets | How To Use Blue Widgets.
That’s a highly optimized page title tag. I would encourage you to use the same keywords in your meta keywords tag. Meta keyword tag
Here you should include keywords that describe the content on your website, but you can use more words. Remember that your potential clients may be people from your local area.
If you sell widgets in Toronto, try and include keywords like: “tory city widgets”, “marksdon widgets” and ” bead volume widget” in your meta keyword tag. That said, make sure you use the same keywords that I have used in this example.
3) The third step is to go to https://www.goodkeywords.comand place your keyword phrase in the “normally” tab and hit “Go”. This site will bring up how many times that phrase has been requested on the internet over the past month.
You can edit your keywords further to narrow the search down to the keywords that are most relevant to your website.
4) The fourth step is to go to Majestic SEO and enter your keyword phrase in the “Keywords” section and click “Get Tags”. You’ll get a map of the search term that was typed in.
5) The fifth step is to go to link Popularity Checker Tool.
This site will allow you to check your standing with various search engines. For this example, I will use the Google search engine. Go to Google and type in the phrase: “Entertainment Services “. One of the first suggestions will be “Entertaining Services”. Click on the “Search Page”
The “Top 1” results will come up, and you can see that the search term “Entertains” has millions of competing websites. The Keyword Research Tool will tell you that the phrase “entertainment services” has plus ONE million competing websites.
Google’s Keyword Tool tells us that the phrase “entertainment services” has less than 3000 competing websites and the term “ent entertainment services” has less than 5000 competing websites.
A successful search engine optimization strategy will usually target numbers between 3,000 and 10,000.
6) Now it’s time for some research. You now want to find out who your competitors are playing against.
Go to the websites of your competitors and check out what they are doing right and wrong and write down the strategies you will use to “beat the competition.”
Some of the research you will need to do to find out their keywords and the keyword phrases being used by your competitor will include
- Who are the top sites linking to your competitor?
- What keywords are they using that you didn’t use?
- What websites are linking to them?
- What pages are linking to them?
- From where do the inbound links come?
- Are there different length words?
- What words are in bold and italic and what words are in italics?
- What words are in the H1 tags?
- What words are in H2 and H3 tags?
- How many domains are linking to them?
- What is the PageRank of these sites?
- Can you get links from these sites?
- Why should you want to?
This information will give you a clear brief of where you need to focus your SEO efforts at next.
7) Search Engines. You will need to research which search engines are being used the most by your potential customers and what kind of searches they are using there. There are several tools you can use to monitor your search engine rankings.